Crustless Quiche With Spinach and Mushrooms

Crustless Quiche With Spinach and Mushrooms Recipe

Straight out, most of the quiche lovers can confirm that a no-crust quiche is absolutely not a quiche. Undoubtedly, the crack of crispness and taste made from a par-baked crust with butter and lard is an integral part of the classic quiche experience. However, most of my family are decreasing their exposure to cereals and I have to cut down on carbohydrates myself for a while. Therefore, I give you this unique recipe for a German crustless quiche with Spinach and Mushrooms.

Crustless-Quiche-Spinach-Mushrooms

Step 1: Ingredients

  • 6 eggs
  • 2 oz of heavy whipped cream
  • 6 ounces of grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese or even 3 oz of each.
  • 8 ounces of frozen Spinach
  • 8 ounces of fresh mushrooms
  • 6 pre-cooked bacon cuts
  • shallots (onion)
  • Butter
  • Olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
  • Nutmeg
  • Salt
  • Pepper


Step 2: Equipment

  • 9-inch cake plate
  • Knife
  • Cutting board
  • Screen
  • Pot
  • Mixing cups
  • Kitchen towels
  • Oven
  • Stove

Step 3: Temper Eggs

If you take the eggs out of the fridge, put them in a bowl first. Add some hot water and let sit until they are at room temperature.

Step 4: Cook Frozen Spinach

I really like frozen spinach. It's pretty easy to work and more budget-friendly compared to the fresh. I buy it in a pound and prepare everything all at once. In this case, do half a pack.

I add the entire pack to a saucepan along with 1/2 cup of water.
Then I crank up the burner until I can smell the spinach flavored steam, about 5-6 minutes.

Step 5: Dewater the spinach

Spinach contains a lot of water that needs to be extracted to make the egg and cream well set up.
Once cooked, drain the spinach in a colander or a strainer.

When the spinach stops dripping, chop it up on the chopping board only if it ain't chopped yet. If it's already cut, leave it the way it is.

Put the chopped spinach in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out as much water as possible. If you started with a pound of frozen spinach, reserve half to make creamy spinach so as to go with the salmon tonight.

Step 6: Make Mushrooms

Mushrooms release a lot of water when prepared. As in the spinach's case, drain the water out of it to set up the custard. I do like the mushrooms brown because, I think, it adds a great kick to the shell.

I wash my mushrooms immediately before cooking. Some people just wipe them down; it's your call, chef! After drying in a clean kitchen towel, I cut the mushrooms in small-sized slices.

I add about 2 tablespoons of butter to a frying pan along with a tablespoon of olive oil. When the butter stops foaming, I add enough mushrooms to cover the soil in a single layer. When they are browned, I flip them over and tan the other side up. If both sides are brown, I repeat for the next batch.

At the end of the last game, I add the diced shallots. When the shallots soften, I add the first ranks of the past and season to taste with salt and pepper. Do not forget, though, that the bacon and the cheese bring salt to the dish as well.

Step 7: Prepare bacon

I'm here with pre-cooked bacon. While I think there may be better bacon out there, no one has rejected this, in my experience. Take your six rashers and cut them into half an inch pieces.

Step 8: Preparing cheese

Shred your cheese with a grater so as to have pieces thin enough to melt easily.

Step 9: Prepare the Custard Fill

Break your eggs into a measuring cup. There might be some difference in the volume of half a dozen eggs. The eggs and cream should have a total volume of around 1-3 / 4 cups.

Beat the eggs and cream with a fork until the mixture appears firm. I do not try to put much air in the mix, so I fork.

Then I season the pudding with salt, pepper, and a scratching nutmeg. Usually, I add about half a teaspoon of dried tarragon, which I would crush in my hand.

Eventually, I add the spinach and stir until all the big pieces of spinach have been gone into the rest of the ingredients.

Step 10: Prepare the cake plate and the oven

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 170C.
Coat the inside of the cake plate with butter.

Step 11: Final touch for crustless quiche

Make a layer of cheese in the bottom of the cake plate with about 3/4 of the cheese. The coating should usually cover the bottom of the cake plate.

Add the bacon on top of the cheese layer. You want to make sure every bite has bacon in it, so nobody feels ignored.

Next, add your cooked mushrooms to make a pretty smooth layer.

Now give your spinach custard mixture a final stir and pour it all over the previous layers. Feel free to use a spatula to balance the combination of custard.

Finally, take your remaining cheese and sprinkle it over the top.

Step 12: Bake and cool

This particular spinach and mushroom crustless quiche took me approximately forty minutes to bake in my oven at 350F degrees.

It might have cooked a little longer because the cheese in the middle is not brown. However, the custard is nicely decorated in the middle. You can still check your crustless quiche by inserting a knife in the middle and it should come out clean.

We try to cool our delicious crustless quiches, filled with spinach, for twenty minutes or so, but many people are willing to risk burning their tongues to get a piece right away.

Good Appetite!

0/Post a Comment/Comments